Re: regular expressions in bash

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 14:16, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'm not really sure what constitutes a posix legal regex but I don't
> think it includes trick riders like having to match a specific part
> of a string, unless put into the regex itself with anchors or the
> like.

A regex is a regex, but a regex search is not a regex match.  I don't
know that Perl provides both, and if it does I don't recall how they're
differentiated.  Other applications do.  Python, for instance
differentiates them thusly:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/matching-searching.html

Find requires a "match" like Python's, rather than a "search" like perl
or grep.