Multi-channel audio recording (Impossible??)

Hi,

I guess before I totally drain all my resources I should ask if anyone has ever been successful in recording multi-channel (6 or more) audio with RH Linux.  Is it possible for someone not well versed in OS customization and coding?  Is there anything available for an expert in audio restoration that has no time to learn the ins and outs of Unix, C++ and Linux?  Maybe something basic like Cool Edit Pro for the Windblows machines???

TIA,
Bill