Re: User/Group Rights - [repost]

-----Original Message-----
From: James Pifer <jamesredhatlist tnjinfl com>
To: redhat-list redhat com <redhat-list redhat com>
Date: Saturday, February 02, 2002 5:22 AM
Subject: User/Group Rights - [repost]

>On systems like NT and Netware you can look at a directory or file and tell
>who has rights to the file. They show you all the users and all the groups
>and what rights they have.
>
>How can I do the equivalent on Linux?
>Is there a place I can assign rights as well? (GUI?)

On the command line, just type ls -l  That will show you the ownership and
access rights of the file.  Among other things.  For the GUI, depends on
which gui.  But I think you can chose to show these things by default by
changing the directory display settings.   Can't recall from the top of my
head, but it should be fairly easy to find.  Look at the top of the GUI file
managing window for Settings.

Jeff Hogg