Re: Xinetd results

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Bob Hartung wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am strying to start Samba-2.2.3a from xinetd.d.  I have constructed
> files per instructions.  Now after restarting with /etc/init.d/xinetd
> restart should I see both smbd and nmbd after doing a 'ps -ef | grep mbd'
> or is the smbd only called if needed?
>
>    If the latter, okay.  If the former then I'll have to dig deeper.
>
> TIA
>
> Bob

Bob,

I never configured Samab to run from xinetd, but I did configure it to run
from inetd in the old days and everything worked just fine.  I don't see
why it shouldn't work with xinetd too.  Your guess is correct.  The daemons
won't be running unless a client tries to use them via a socket connection.
At that point, xinetd will launch the smbd and nmbd processes if the whole
thing is configured right.

--
Nitebirdz

Mozilla--> http://www.mozilla.org/