Re: monitor virtual hosts

I've had this dilemma forever. Here's what I've settled on . It doesn't
monitor traffic in real time but it's the next best thing.

There is a webserver log analysis program called wwwstat-2.0, download and
install it.
http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/websoft/wwwstat/

I'm sure there are others that would do the same job, this just happens to be
the one I used.

I hacked up the output to only give me the total bytes. I then wrote a small
bash script that, once a week (cron), finds all the "access_log" 's on the
box and runs this program against them and outputs the username along with
the total bytes for each then fires the summary off in a email.

At least I'm now able to tell who's using a excess bandwidth.

If you suddenly have one virtual using a lot of bandwidth, you can attempt to
use Apache's "server-status" to try and narrow down which virtual.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_status.html

Lastly, if anyone has a better solution I'd love to hear it.