How to get usb ports running, to use with digtal camera?

Running the stock Red Hat 2.4.9-13 kernel on a Dell Workstation with two
usb slots.  Just got a digital camera that needs to live on one of them.

If I run usbview, I get:

"Cannot open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices.  Verify that you have USB
compiled into your kernel, have the modules loaded and have the usbdevfs
filesytem mounted."

Under /proc , I have only /proc/bus/pci.

This is probably a simple FAQ (but I could not find it), but how do I
get the usb ports active?  I tried running kudzu at boot with the camera
attached and turned on, but that did not work.

TIA

John
--
John P. Verel
Living Proof That Low Tech Beats High Tech!