Re: wine in general (my 2 cents)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:50:57AM -0600, Manuel Camacho wrote:
> > I would distinguish between various engineering disciplines. In the
> > world of electronics, there seems to be a strong trend towards Linux.
>
> Yes, you are right. I believe that is because electrical and electronic
> engineers are more fond to programming than people from other eng.
> fields. You also find interesting amounts of software for chemistry.
[...]

Actually, the electronics companies I've been in so far have shown *strong*
tendencies to standardize on Windows. Main reason given: Schematic capture
programs an layout programs are cheaper than on Solaris and more readily
available than on Linux, things like LabVIEW are better supported on Windows
than on Solaris (support on Linux is close to non-existent), Windows is more
compatible with the latest generation of measurement instruments (scopes,
ESD testers), which is *also* running Windows, Windows supports more I/O
cards, etc.pp.
Chip design is different, most of that stuff is running on Solaris, as it
seems.

Anyway, I'm in a different job now, but if someone has information as to how
to refute the arguments, I'm very interested. Might come in handy one day.

BTW: The mentality I've often seen among electrical engineers was along
the lines of: "I don't care what it runs on as long as it does the job and I
don't have to worry about support". Most of these guys have no intention to
program, as that takes time away from their real job. Tools are supposed to
work and a computer counts as tool. Which as such is the right way of
looking at it, IMO.

Cheerio,

Thomas
                                       ...'cause only lusers quote signatures!