Compiling Inetl E100 Pro driver

I need to create an e100.o file for use with Novell's Zenworks imaging
utility. I have downloaded the driver file from Intel as
e100-2.1.15.tar.gz. I ran gunzip to get to the tar file. Then I ran tar
to decompress it. I now have a directory called src with a bunch of .h
and .c files. However, there is not specificallly a e100.c file. In any
case, I am trying to compile the driver so I get the .o file. I'm
thinking I need to run make or make install to create the file, per the
readme that comes with the driver download. But, in every case, I get
Linux kernel source not found. What am I doing wrong?

Ed