SRPMS Help

I have a question on SRPMS

I have to build imapd with mbx support as a default, so I install the
-src.rpm and then go into /usr/local/redhat/SOURCES/imap-2001a and I
see a bz2 file which is the imap source and a bunch of .patch files

are these patch files already applied to the imap source or do I have
to apply them, and if so how do I do that?

Ian Dobson