Re: weird characters in RH8 when I connect via SSH

Freddy Chavez wrote:

When I connect via OpenSSH (using PUTTY v0.51 from a Windows box) to RH 7.x
I've no problems. When I connect to RH 8.0 the same way, I'm seeing weird
characters in some programs like, for instance, "ntsysv" or just when I look
man pages.

A couple of lines when I do "man ls" in each case:

In RH 7.x:
      -A, --almost-all
             do not list implied . and ..
In RH 8.0:
      âA, ââalmostâall
             do not list implied . and ..

This is a fairly well know issue that occurs over ssh, xterm, and a fair number of other places. For real fun try pasting -A from the man from gnome-terminal to gnome-terminal.