RH8.0 and large file sizes.

Hi everyone.
We have RH8.0 along with various other flavors of RH going back to 7.0. Here's my problem: I am having problems with WinNT '/mnt' 'ed servers that have very large files on them (In excess of 10GB). When I run my Perl programs to do some sort of 'Processing' be that a read of the file, or a system command like a 'cp' or 'mv' or even an 'ls', that it only processes 1.8 GB of the file. I was reading on the rmpfind.net (I think that was it), that this issue was addressed in RH 7.3, yet even with 8.0, the mounted devices show a max size of 1.8GB. What I am guessing is, is this, that this is somehow 'Configurable' and the default is that 'Large file support' is not turned on. When I join other 'Forums' or seek help through some of the channels, including Samba, I get this type of response, 'Download this ALPHA rpm and rebuild the kernel'. But there isn't any information about HOW to do this and what kernel rpm I need, it's very vague. I also prefer not having something too 'Alpha', but I would consider a Beta patch. But again, I think on 8.0 it is "In there", just not 'turned on' somehow.

Can ANYONE please give me some detailed "How to's", or better yet, WHERE to go (Be nice now)??? Because I've been hunting around on the Net for over a week now to NO AVAIL.

HELP!!
Thanks ahead of time for ANY information you guys can shed.
--
Rich Parker
http://www.fssi-ca.com