Re: Battling CUPS/LPRng/Samba on 7.3

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, linux power wrote:

> I had the same problem and i took me 14 days to find
> it out. There is a mjor bug in Samba printing cups. It
> cant resolve -P %p in the print command line. Replace
> -P %p with the absolute path to your printing
> device.You find it in lpstat -v and starts with /dev

I changed, that, but it didn't seem to help.

I did find out one more thing though:
In nmbd.log I noticed:

[2002/09/16 13:17:10, 0] libsmb/nmblib.c:send_udp(755)
  Packet send failed to 66.92.68.255(138) ERRNO=Operation not permitted

It seems that it's trying to broadcast on my external IP address instead
of 192.168.1.255.  Where would I set that?

Note that I do NOT think this is my problem, because the time of this
message does not coincide with a printing attempt; I think this might have
to do with CUPS browsing.  Thoughts?

But later on in that file I noticed:

[2002/09/16 18:49:59, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(236)
  find_response_record: response packet id 23410 received with no matching
record.
[2002/09/16 18:49:59, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(236)
  find_response_record: response packet id 23411 received with no matching
record.
[2002/09/16 18:55:42, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
  *****

  Samba name server UNI is now a local master browser for workgroup
INTRANET on subnet 192.168.1.1

  *****
[2002/09/16 18:56:19, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_browse_packet(1062)
  process_browse_packet: Discarding datagram from IP 192.168.1.1. Source
name UNI<00> is one of our names !

I think I turned on Browsing and this happened, but I'm not sure if I'm
better off understanding and fixing this problem, or turning browsing back
off.  If browsing is just for device discovery, I and my wife already know
the printer is there ;)

 Does anyone think this would be easier if I uninstalled LPRng and
printconf?

Does anyone think I should give up and go back to LPRng, which I had
working on my old server?

Thanks in advance.
DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
DK KD  He won it by making other bastards die for their country."
DDDD                            -General George Smith Patton (WWII)