Screwed my inittab/runlevel

I have a Redhat 9 system that I have totally screwed up inittab and
runlevel to where it will not boot correctly now. I was trying to change
it from default initlevel 5 to 3. Not sure if I didn't give it enough
time or what, but now it's hosed.

When it boots I get:
INIT: /etc/inittab[8]: missing action field
(same line repeats with 19,22,30,33,39,42,43, and 51)
Cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

I booted into rescue mode but didn't know what to even do.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
James