[OT?] Grub and USB pen drives

All new motherboards seem to be able to boot from USB pen drives. I've tried making the pen drives bootable by executing 'SYS F:' in Windows, but, although the Windows system files are copied, the pen drive won't boot.

Then I had the thought of using grub on this pen drive to maybe being able to get it to boot.

Much like you have the option to boot DOS with grub as well from a hard drive partition.

Anyone screwed around with this kind of thing and got it to work?

I've found some documents on embedded linux, that have boot images that can be put on pen drives, but then I have a fully Linux system. Although I love Linux, unfortunately the tools I would like to run on this pen drive run in DOS.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Ed.