Re: Kernel Compile Issues for newbie

txs for the feeback:-)

I got the kernel up and running in the end. I became confused after the
"make modules_install" stage as the next stage, "make install", was not
recommended in the how-to from kernel.org. It recommended using mkinitrd
and copying the bzImage, config and other things to the /boot directory.
I got into a horrible mess, having to boot the kernel manually in
command line etc;

Greg Bell made a posting saying that he used "make install" and
everything went OK. I tried it and it worked, plus it modified my
grub.conf correctly. I still do not understand why the how-to did not
recommend "make install". My goal was to recompile the kernel to include
wlan modules so that I could get my SMC2632Wv3 card up and running -
kernel recompile was a means to an end, but txs to the advice from this
site I learnt one hell of a lot:-).

I managed to get my wlan card going so my next mission is acpi. Any
thoughts on that?

Regards,