Redhat ES command run delay (weird one)

Serhan Sevim sevims at mezun.com
Mon Apr 5 17:12:22 UTC 2004

Hey guys,
We have a pretty interesting situation and here it goes,
We recently purchased RHES and while I was testing the OS's security/features and stuff, I came across a strange delay problem whenever I type a command and hit enter.
For a simple example, after logging into shell, simply without entering any command, and hitting enter turns the blank line "a little bit" delayed. How delayed? Well, for example for every RH 7X,8,9 product, say this delay is 0.05 second. And with RHES it is just about 0.3 seconds maybe more. I thought this was a hardware problem first (it's running on dual 2.8 xeon, 8 gig ram and 12 raid10 disk conf.) but after trying other redhat 7x products on this server, I realized this assumption of mine was not true.. I ran some IO benchmark tests and they all came up better than I expected.
Even when I compile some scripts, the compilation pages go by page by page instead of being a continues process without any stop.
This is the most annoying yet most interesting problem I've ever encountered.
 This delay problem may not be noticed if you're not a fast typer. However, it will clearly show itself when you realize that you're slowing down because of this slow shell execution process.
Server is running kernel-2.4.21-9.0.1.EL with latest patches applied.
Does anybody have an idea what might be going on?
Thanks in advance.
Serhan.