get ssh to connect with out password

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Apr 12 02:55:21 UTC 2004

TOp posting fixed. Quotes trimmed for relevance.

On 18:41 07 Apr 2004, Tobias Speckbacher <tobias at quova.com> wrote:
| > 1st, my username on the two machines is different. Is there a way to
| > handle
| > that?
|
| The username is irrelevant, it relies on the public/private key pair
| matching.
| You just have to use ssh user at host1 when on host2 and ssh user at host2
| when on host1.

You can also write a clause for your home machine in your ~/.ssh/config
file. For example I have this:

  Host home cablehome cskk cskk.homeip.net
    User		cameron
    HostName		cskk.homeip.net

Then I just ssh to "home". It'll aim at "cskk.homeip.net" and log in as
"cameron" regardless of the login name I'm using at the local end. Works
with scp etc too:

	scp filename home:

to copy a file to home. Too easy.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I say we generate electricity by burning liberals.
        - geoffm at purplehaze.Corp.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)