Linux amongst Sun

Robert C Paulsen Jr robert at paulsenonline.net
Sun Apr 18 03:26:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 22:09, Shiraz Baig wrote:
> I have a problem in accessing Internet.
> I have an Intel machine, running Linux, amongst 20
> sparc machines running solaris.
> The IP address of my machine is 192.168.1.105. As
> mentioned earlier there are
> number of other machines, they are all sparc. A sparc
> machine, IP address 192.168.1.104 can access Internet.
> But my machine (Linux) cannot access Internet.
> When I run browser on my machine, it keeps thinking
> and thinking and then gives a timeed out message.
>
> Whole of this subnet is accessing Internet through a
> Proxy Server (192.168.1.9). We are running Windows
> Proxy Server.
> I checked up routing table of Sparc. It no where
> mentiones about the defaul route.
> On Linux machine, I have given it default route with
> gateway as 192.168.1.9.
>
> My own idea(wild) is that may be, Proxy server is
> configured to store certain hardware address and since
> my Linux machine hardware address is not in its list,
> threfore, it is not allowing it access.
>
> Any ideas, how to access Internet through my machine.
> I am using Redhat 8.0.

A proxy and a gateway are two different beasts. A single machine may act
as both, but even if your networking is correctly configured to access
the internet via the gateway you still need to configure your individual
applications (e.g. browser) to use the proxy.

If you are using Mozilla, go to preferences->advanced->proxies.