fetchmail bounces

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 19 02:53:41 UTC 2004

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 10:35, Edward wrote:
>

>>I use sendmail to send mail VIA my ISP mail server (masquerade).
>>I use fetchmail in a 15 minute CRON job to fetch new mail from my ISP
>>mail server.
>
> <Whack>

>><<< 553 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist (#5.7.1)
>>501 5.6.0 Data format error
>>550 5.1.1 <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON at server>... User unknown
>

> </Whack>
>
> I'm curious about what the commandline options are that you're using
> when you fire up fetchmail...?

none - it is using my .fetchmailrc directly - which consists of:

set daemon 0
set postmaster edward
poll mail.iinet.net.au protocol pop3
	no dns aka tripled.iinet.net.au
	user tripled is * here
	password *******

The cron job simply runs fetchmail as my edward user.

> Have you tried it verbosely with:
>
> fetchmail --verbose --nodetach --smtpaddress=whatever.com.au
> --smtpuser=you at whatever.com.au

No. Are there .fetchmailrc equivalents for these? (I don't see any
.fetchmailrc man pages). If not I will change the way CRON calls it to
try it.

Thanks so far Stephen.

Regards,
ED.