VMWare and RedHat

Vladimir Kosovac vnk at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 20 21:45:48 UTC 2004

Agree. We are running version 4 on top of RH 7.3 - loading XP Pro guests
in an IT training environment. Fits the purpose quite well, since Red
Hat infrastructure (LAN servers and VM hosts) allows for 100% of stuff
that we need (retaining/loading changed images, authentication based
image selection, software updates, etc.) to be automated with some
clever scripting (not done by me though).

PCs are nothing really special - Athlon XP 1400+ and older PIII 733, all
with 512 MB RAM. There isn't any noticeable performance degradation when
running JBuilder or Borland C++ Builder, for example, on a windows
guest.

However, due to how VMware emulates host PC's hardware, it is not yet
suitable for heavy graphics or multimedia stuff.

Re the problem with vmnet devices, just disable (remove) their init
scripts, after uninstalling application.