Oracle 8i installation on RedHat Linux 7.3

Keg redhat at zulu420.com
Wed Apr 21 13:13:30 UTC 2004

Nitin Mehta wrote:

>Thank you, it worked.
>I can connect from client to my server at linux system now.
>
>Thanks a lot again
>Nitin

Don't remove the sqlnet.ora file, just properly configure it:

You likely only want this in it for your config:
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

Removing this file likely causes defaults to be used (or not), which may
or may not be the behavior you really want. Look at Oracle's Networking
document, it covers in great depth all the naming resolution methods and
etc...

Then have your data sources defined in
$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora, here is an example:
CHEM5 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = chem5)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = chem5.mydomain.com)
    )
  )

Then use tnsping to check your datasources:
db-0204:~ #tnsping CHEM1

TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on
21-APR-2004 06:04:53
Copyright (c) 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
Used parameter files:
/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = chem5)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = chem5.mydomain.com)))
OK (10 msec)

Also, I stumbled onto this site a long time ago:
http://www.puschitz.com/ This guy has dedicated a site to Oracle on Linux.

Lastly, you don't need to use any naming at all, you can always use an
explicit connection string with your driver, whether it be jdbc, odbc,
or any other method. Naming only becomes usefull in large oracle
environments with scores of databases. When it comes to Oracle
networking, keep it simple but secure.

-Chuck