CDROM problems

Cameron Mura cmura at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 22 03:36:00 UTC 2004

Hello,

I just started developing problems with the CD-ROM drive on my Dell RH9
(2.4.20-31.9smp #1 SMP kernel) workstation and was wondering if anyone
has seen seomthing similar or has any advice (I briefly trawled through
the list archive but didn't find a solution).  The problem is the
following output from a simple "eject /mnt/cdrom/":

> [cmura at chemcca35 ~]$ eject /mnt/cdrom/
> eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

The drive is mounted in fstab on /dev/cdrom, which links to scsi drive
/dev/scd0.  The confusing issue is that this problem arose apparently
randomly (i.e., I didn't screw around with anything).  Also confusing is
that it seems to work after the first reboot (for any user), but then
seems to work sporadically for other user accounts and not at all for
mine.  dmesg includes ~250(!) of the following lines (is sr0 a kernel
module for CDROM?):

> sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

...And /var/log/messages fills-up with similar crap:

> Apr 18 04:02:01 chemcca35 kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure
> there is a disc in the drive.
> Apr 18 04:02:32 chemcca35 last message repeated 31 times
> Apr 18 04:03:33 chemcca35 last message repeated 61 times

The hardware device seems to be recognized fine ("kudzu -p")

> class: CDROM
> bus: SCSI

If anyone has any hints or pointers in the right direction I'd be
greatly appreciative!...

   -Cameron