Migration from RedHat Linux 9.0 to RedHat Enterprise 3.0

Michel Fayez mfelkess at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 09:44:09 UTC 2004

Hi all,

       Here I have a little decision that I have to
make in my corporate. I have an old and small system
that runs on a VAX machine with the clients logged on
from terminal through a terminal server. I have the
responsibility to upgrade this system with the least
cost that could be ever possible.

       I have chosen Red Hat Linux 9.0 to use it on
some high configuration PC, using the same hardware
existing(Network Infrastructure, Terminal Servers,
VT420 Consoles connecting to the PC).

       I need now to obtain the commercial license for
Red Hat as the deployment process is going to start. I
found that Red Hat 9.0 is not for sale any more. Thus,
I have a few questions:

1) Do I need the upgrade to Linux Enterprise 3.0, or
the current Red Hat Linux 9.0 is sufficient for my
simple configuration?
2) If I do not need any upgrade, what about the
support that could be obtained from the Red Hat
company or other Linux communities. Is it available,
or it is a bad choice to use an old version of OS that
is not supported anymore?
3) I am rather new to the Linux world, so will it be
available to get more packages with low cost if I
decided to be sticked with RedHat Linux 9.0?
4) If I have to upgrade to Linux Enterprise 3.0, which
family (AS, WS, ES)?
5) I think AS family is out of my thinking because it
is too big of my project. I wonder now what to use the
ES or the WS. I know the WS is used for client
configuration but it is not a subset of the ES. Also,
the ES is used as a server configuration but it does
not include all the features and packages of the WS. I
wonder if I obtained any of them, could add what I
need more from the other's packages and at what cost?

        Thanks for your time ...

Yours Sincerely,
Eng. Michel Fayez
Senior System Programmer