lograte rotating logs at 4:02am. why not at 12:00am?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Apr 23 19:26:07 UTC 2004

At 13:03 4/23/2004, you wrote:
>so it appears that logrotate is executed by /etc/cron.daily/logrotate.
>this must mean that the daily cron jobs are being started at
>approximately 4am.

Correct.

>my question is: why are they not starting at 12am and how can i adjust
>this?

They don't start at midnight in order to avoid having *everything* start up
at midnight. Remember that cron.hourly runs every hour on the hour, daily
stuff runs at around 4am, weekly stuff at another time, etc. You don't want
to bog down your system with maintenance, so it gets distributed this way.

You can change it either by changing the time cron.daily is called, or by
moving the logrotate job out of cron.daily and into its own cron job at
whatever time you prefer. I would do the second one, personally.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com