Prevent log in as root

Wolfgang Pfeiffer roto at gmx.net
Sun Apr 25 12:18:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 06:28, Richard Kurth wrote:
> Is there a way to Prevent anyone from logging in as root. I what them
> to only log in as admin and su to root. What would I change to make
> this work?

I'm on Debian Linux/ppc.
But if you have gdm running you might want to have a look at this:

>From the
"Gnome Display Manager Reference Manual" (Gnome Help Browser):
"The Configuration File - gdm.conf"

Excerpt:
-------------------------
AllowRoot
AllowRoot=true

Allow root (privileged user) to log in through GDM. Set this to false if
you want to disallow such logins. On systems that support PAM, this
parameter is not as useful as you can use PAM to do the same thing, and
in fact do even more. However it is still followed, so you should
probably leave it true for PAM systems.

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang