Disaster recovery recommendations for RH Linux 8.0...

Tobias Speckbacher tobias at quova.com
Tue Apr 27 18:15:31 UTC 2004

DNS round robin will still give you a roughly 50% chance of hitting the
system that is down.  Although if your ttl for the zone is short enough
you could modify it and direct all traffic to the second server.  This,
however, at best is pseudo redundancy.

The smtp protocol offers you to set backup mx records via dns.
This will cause the sending server to try all of these before giving up
on delivery. (should the server in question be your MX host). Quick
search yielded http://www.dyndns.org/support/kb/mxrecords.html on this
topic.

I would definitely set up the system with 2 drives in a raid 1
configuration.  If you can afford it go for hardware raid, otherwise use
the md feature in RH.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

-Tobias