Mouting USB Flash Drive with RH 7.1

IAK Tanoli sendtoimtiaz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 14:17:05 UTC 2004

dd command used to write image file on destination disk assuming destination disk is floppy.

Gabby James <lizard0000092 at hotmail.com> wrote:I plugged the flash drive into my Windows XP machine and it asked if I
wanted to format it. I formatted it as FAT32 now I can successfully mount
it on my RH 7.1 Linux system again.

Now I just have to figure out what happened when I did the 'dd' command. I
copied over a RH boot.img which I believe is a fat filesystem and a
drvnet.img which is a ext2 filesystem. I tried to mount with a -t option
and the type of filesystem but kept getting errors.

wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have a USB flash drive which I was able to successfully mount under RH
>7.1. Then I did a 'dd' command to copy a boot image file to the flash
>drive. Now, I can't mount the flash drive.
>
>If I try to mount the device I get the following message:
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many
>mounted file systems.
>
>This is the output of cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>Attached devices:
>Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>Vendor: SanDisk Model: Cruzer Mini Rev: 0.1
>Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
>If I do a 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' it shows the the drive has one partition
>called /dev/sda1 wich is of type FAT16.
>
>The line in my /etc/fstab file looks like the following
>/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbkeychain vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0
>
>When I do a lsmod, I see that the usb-storage module is currently loaded.
>So is usb-uhci and usbcore.
>
>If I do a fdisk /dev/sda it just hangs.
>
>Two questions:
>1) What do I have to do to be able to mount my flash drive again?
>2) Why did my 'dd' command break it? How else can I copy an image file to
>the flash drive?
>
>Thanks!
>GJ

Imtiaz Ahmed Khan