Disaster recovery recommendations for RH Linux 8.0...

Tobias Speckbacher tobias at quova.com
Wed Apr 28 18:17:37 UTC 2004

Edward,

Afaik the most commonly used smtp server implementations do support this
type of setup.  I agree its not required, but highly encouraged by the
authors of the rfc.

>From RFC 974 ( http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc974.html ):

<lawyerly quoting>
"  If the list of MX RRs is not empty, the mailer should try to deliver
   the message to the MXs in order (lowest preference value tried
   first).  The mailer is required to attempt delivery to the lowest
   valued MX.  Implementors are encouraged to write mailers so that they
   try the MXs in order until one of the MXs accepts the message, or all
   the MXs have been tried.  A somewhat less demanding system, in which
   a fixed number of MXs is tried, is also reasonable.  Note that
   multiple MXs may have the same preference value.  In this case, all
   MXs at with a given value must be tried before any of a higher value
   are tried.  In addition, in the special case in which there are
   several MXs with the lowest preference value,  all of them should be
   tried before a message is deemed undeliverable."
</lawyerly quoting>

In any case, I would consider myself a negligent admin should I opt to
implement corporate mail infrastructure without having a backup mx host
(preferably in different locations).

-Tobias