Moving hardlinks

Tobias Speckbacher tobias at quova.com
Fri Apr 30 22:33:30 UTC 2004

Without having tested this, a good guestimate.

The hard links should be copied as the entire file, since a hard link is
just a pointer to the inode of the original file.

Since it is a pointer to an inode hard links are filesystem structure
dependent.  The inode dependence is also the reason you can not hard
link across filsystems.

Hope this answers that question.

To copy all the data I would do something like:

tar cfp - /path/to/files | (cd /path/to/where/you/want/files; tar xvfp
-)

-T