RE: "Bad magic number"

Try running fsck on the partition (ie. hdb1) instead on the device

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Edwin Humphries
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 1:25 PM
To: redhat-list redhat com
Subject: "Bad magic number"

G'day all,

We're just fitting a second HDD into our new Fedora server, and
getting error messages I don't know how to deal with.

The drive is near new, but we're not entirely sure of its provenance,
so we're being cautious. However, it fdsisked fine, and running
mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1 ran OK with no error messages.

But because of our cautions, I tried to check the drive for errors
before using it for any data: ran e2fsck -c /dev/hdb.

The result was an error messages as follows:
|Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks ...
|e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
|The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
|filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
|filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the
|superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an
|alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Now I'm not sure what magic numbers or super-blocks are, and I have
no idea how to fix this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edwin Humphries,
Ironstone Technology Pty Ltd
edwin ironstone com au
Phone: 02 4233 2285