Running Java in Linux Terminal

I'm using NetBeans as the Java editor now. But I can't run any program in Terminal (by typing java -cp ....). I don't know what I need to be able do that. In my school, I don't need to modify anything in the Java class, just type java -cp . <File> and run . Please tell me what I lack.

(I hit "man java" but no command for java found)

Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband