Adding postfix to startup

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Thu Aug 5 14:41:00 UTC 2004

Ben Sewell wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> I installed via the RH9 RPMs on the site you gave before. It is now
> started up but I have a problem it seems regarding sending emails. I
> can't seem to sendmail them out to mailboxes. I have webmin installed
> and tried flushing the queue and it gives this line:
>
> "Forcing the attempted delivery of mail with the command
> /usr/sbin/postqueue -c /etc/postfix -f .."
>
> Does this mean I have some configuring to do in postfix such as
> master.cf and main.cf? Also, I have a dynamic host so I use
> dyndns.org to store my IP. Does it matter if I dont have anything put
> in for the mail exchanger in dyndns.org's records?

Ben,

You're gonna have to do some basic configuration to postfix before you can
expect it to understand howto deliver mail (inbound or outbound). Especially
the main.cf variables myorigin, mydestination, etc... Start by looking at

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

and find the example that fits your environment.

BTW: I have never used webmin to configure or manage postfix, so I can't
help you with that part of your question. See: man postqueue -or- man
postsuper (that's what I use at this end to manage the queues).

Steve Cowles