sound and music

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 07:47:03 UTC 2004

Sir,
I am trying to listen to some video songs (*.dat)
files. I have installed Redhat Linux 9.0. When I check
the menu, there are plenty of audio and video
applications and none of them work with these files,
which is a very common format of MS Windows.

So, I read the book and “Red Hat Linux 8 unleashed” by
Techmedia, which I think is a good book. I found that
Balsa is a recommended package. I located this package
on the CD and then tried to install the packages. It
checked dependencies and said that it failed because
libsmtp cannot be found. I am amazed at the ineptness
of Redhat, why can’t they take care of such minor
details. Why don’t they test their software before
giving it to public. I think, one of the major
contributors of people not taking up Linux is by
Redhat.

I tried cdp  (cdplay) application. The CD was running
but no sound was produced. Tested both, the audio and
video disks. But did not succeed. I went to the system
tools and tested the sound card. It works perfectly,
but the sound volume is too low. There is no button
with which I can raise the volume of sound. In
windows, there is an icon of speaker in system tray
and you can just raise it. So, the sound card works,
but none of the application does. And there are 15
applications installed by default on the Red Hat Linux
9.0.

So, now, what do I do?
1) I want to run by audio and video CDs. Most of them
are *.dat.
2) I want to raise the volume of speaker?

BTW, I am not a novice. I have been doing Linux since
a decade.

regards
an offended one