Uploading files via telnet instead of FTP to a RH 8 server?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 7 03:43:43 UTC 2004

"Barry S." <help at codefit.com> writes:

> Thanks RDB,
>
> Sounds great.
>
> I want to do it that way because my existing FTP server is down due to
> a corrupted config file which I was unable to debug, consequently the
> RPM for the FTP server was deleted from server, so I wanted to find a
> way to re upload a fresh RPM of my FTP RPM instead of doing it on site.

There are ways to use telnet to upload files but may be harder to find
about than just using scp.  But the ftp server must have a sshd daemon
running on it.

Emacs can use telnet to upload files with a package called tramp.
But emacs is quite a handfull to get started with.

If you control the ftp server your can make sure sshd is running on
it.  If so then you would do like this:

  scp my_file_to_upload user at ftp_host:/path/where/you/wantit/

You should be prompted for users password at that point.

To test for sshd... if the ftp server is redhat you can probably run
   `service sshd status'   (This command requires root priviledge)
To find out.

Otherwise grepping the output of ps wwaux should find it if is a linux
machine and sshd is running:

   ps wwaux|grep sshd  (on the ftp server)

So to summarize:

  sshd must be running on receiving host
  ssh must be installed on sending host.

   You must have access to an account on ftp host (Know its password)

   With those things in place:
   `scp myfile user at host:/path/'

Follow the prompts from there