MySQL 4 and PHP 5

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Aug 7 21:57:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:07:25PM -0800, Chris Lott wrote:
> Any idea how long before new software gets integrated into the RedHat
> Enterprise distributions?

Typically major new applications won't make until the next release of
RHEL.  If they break binary compatibility, Red Hat doesn't have much of
a choice - they have to wait or they'll be lynched by their customers.

> I don't know that much about the RPM
> process, but it seems like if I need to use one of these I pretty much
> end up needing to compile everything by hand-- kind of an all RPM or
> nothing?

I suggest you get the RPM book if you're going to take this approach -
you may find out it's not as bad as you think.  Sometimes you can just
grab the existing source rpm, install it, replace the source tarball
inside, update the spec file, and rebuild.  There are a few gotchas
along the way of course...  With both php and mysql, you'll have to
watch for dependencies with other products like apache.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org