linux rpm question

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Aug 9 21:38:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:29:34PM -0700, Nguyen, Long P (Mission Systems) wrote:
> If I downloaded some rpm files for redhat and installed it on mandrake
> - would that work okay?

No way to tell.  "redhat" is too vague by itself - there are multiple
versions of Red Hat Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux and some rpms
may be compatible with some releases and not with others.

Mandrake also has multiple releases.

You'd have far better luck at least starting with a source rpm and
rebuilding that on your Mandrake system, but this question is better
asked on a Mandrake list.  I'm sure you'll find the the number of Red
Hat Linux users here vastly outnumber the number of Mandrake users.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org