Hardware raid 1+ RHES + repartitionning : advice needed

f.salemme at free.fr f.salemme at free.fr
Tue Aug 10 13:23:45 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I've got a brand new server pre-installed:
Intel xeon 2.4 Ghz
2 disks 36,7Go Ultra320,
LSI Megaraid scsi 320-1 storage adapter
Hardware raid 1 and RHES 2.4.21-4.Elsmp.
There is a problem with the partitions created :I want to use this server as a
firewall and proxy(iptables+ squid), and etc/fstab doesn't seem to fit this
purpose

etc/fstab :
----------

LABEL=/1	    /	ext3		defaults	1 1
LABEL=/boot1 /boot	ext3		defaults	1 2
none	/dev/pts	depts		gid=5, mode=620	0 0
none	/proc		proc		defaults	0 0
none	/dev/shm	tmpfs		defaults	0 0
/dev/sda14 swap		swap		defaults	0 0
/dev/sda2	 swap		swap		defaults	0 0
/dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	udf,iso9660noauto..ro	0 0
/dev/fd0	/mnt/floppy	auto		noauto..kudzu	0 0

questions :  I don't understand why 2 swap partitions, and why I see nothing
between sda2 and sda14.

second,I want to have /tmp /var /usr /usr/local /squid as partitions on their
own, so I'm going to repartition, and I need some advice : is there something
to do first as for the hardware raid 1 ? Have you some other advice for this ?

Thanks to all, and I'm learning a lot by reading this list,
Regards,
Francoise.