Setting up RAID1 Post-install

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Aug 10 17:49:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, kenwardc wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I just had exactly this problem. I set up Redhat on a new server,
> installed all the packages I wanted to use, then decided that I wanted
> RAID. Put in the controller and DISASTER - it wouldn't work.
>
> The only way to do this, unless someone out there knows better, is to
> install the OS again, with the RAID controller in the hardware, then
> copy your original setup, excluding the dirs that hold the kernel
> etc., onto your new disk.
>
> I did it this way and it took me all of an hour to get the system back
> to exactly the way I wanted it. Brilliant and it all worked fine.

I don't know about this.  I added a 3Ware controller to my pre-existing
RHL9 system, created the appropriate partitions, formatted them, moved the
data to them that I wanted to store on them, and then made sure that I
added those partitions to the fstab, myself.

Without seeing his fdisk -l output, it's hard to say what he has to do,
but, assuming from what he wrote, that the RAID disk shows up as /dev/sda,
his system is already seeing the disk/device, as his swap partitions are
both on that device and mounted.

All he probably really needs to do is remember that the paritioning
programs are not necessarily going to modify his fstab file, and that
he'll need to know what partitions he wants to mount, where he wants to
mount them, and to modify his fstab file, accordingly.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit