uninstalling old mozilla version

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Sat Aug 14 01:58:47 UTC 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 14:33, Jack Byers wrote:
> Jack Byers     byersj at hotmail.com
> running rh8.0
>
> i am in middle of trying to upgrade or rather fresh install of mozilla 1.7
> the instructions on moz site look complete    and download of the installer
> is easy
>
> but they say to  uninstall old version before doing any new install
<snip>
> so, do i  'rm'  all of above?

The mozilla already there is probably the one shipped with RH 8.0, installed
using RPM. You can try uninstalling all of them using:
1. Get the mozilla related packages:
rpm -qa | grep mozilla
you'll probably get something like: mozilla, mozilla-nspr, etc

2. Remove them using 'rpm -e <package_name>' where package name is the package
you found from step 1.

I would guess it would fail due to some sort of dependancy problem. If that's
the case, just don't worry about uninstalling them, they would not interfere
with the new installed mozilla, I promise  :)

All you need to do then, install the new version mozilla in a separate
directory, ie: /usr/local/mozilla-1.7 (you can set this up with the
installer). Then, to make sure that you run the new mozilla version when you
type "mozilla", you can

1. Move the mozilla executable in /usr/bin to mozilla.old, for example.
$> mv /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla.old

2. Make a symlink from /usr/bin to the newly installed mozilla, so that the
newly installed mozilla is in the path automatically, eg:
$> ln -s /usr/local/mozilla-1.7/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla

Do those as root. Then whenever you need to install plugins, remember that the
mozilla install directory is /usr/local/mozilla-1.7 (of course, adjust this
to whatever directory you decide to install mozilla-1.7 to)

Hope that helps.
RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja