Separate shell and www servers...

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Tue Aug 17 19:02:03 UTC 2004

>     I want to separate our web server from our shell server and put them
> on separate machines.  Right now, each user has their own little web
> folder under their home directory.  What's the best way to accomplish
> this separation task?  Create one mountable partition, and have symlinks
> to individual (user) folders with in that?
>
>     With a mail spool, I was able to do that fairly easy, since
> everyone's INBOX sits in the same location: /var/mail/ (or
> /var/spool/mail/ if you want to be picky.)  I just used a different
> server, installed NIS, and nfs mounted that server on the user server
> and away it went.  But when dealing with several folders, each one
> within a user directory, and having different permissions (per user,)
> I'm scratching my head.
>
>     Any brilliant ideas?

How many users are we talking?

If you favor security over timeliness, you may want to set something up with
rsync where your www server can rsync to your sh server but not the other
way around.  Have it run out of cron every minute or so on the www server.
For example, on shell server let's say the webdir is in
/home/username/webdir and on your webserver it translates to
/home/www/username

rsync shellserver:/home/username/webdir/ /home/www/username