encoding not working on man pages?

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Tue Aug 17 19:16:34 UTC 2004

> > I have two development redhat 8.0 servers which a previous admin had put
> > together which look like they're almost identical.  However,
> there is some
> > sort of encoding problem on one of them (call it server A).  It does not
> > seem to be able to translate some encoding of some sort.  For
> example, on
> > server B, bringing up a man page looks normal.
> >
> > like:
> >  -a, --all
> >               do not hide entries starting with .
> >
> >        -A, --almost-all
> >               do not list implied . and ..
> >
> > On server A, it brings up what looks like encoding for dashes
> and hyphens
> > and other non-alphabetic characters.  Instead of hyphnes/dashes
> it comes up
> > with a's with little conehead hats.  Here is a cut and paste which
> > hopefully will come through in the email:
> >
> > âa, ââall
> >               do not hide entries starting with .
> >
> >        âA, ââalmostâall
> >               do not list implied . and ..
> >
> >        ââauthor
> >               print the author of each file

Thank you all for the help (and pointing me to the FAQ).   My
/etc/sysconfig/i18n
contained:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

I changed it to
export LC_ALL=C
export LANG=C

However, I'm still having a problem with our webpages (run through apache
and resin).  The encoding seems to still have a problem on some pages that
are being served.  In one case, the apostrophe comes up as a question mark
(although when I cut the encoding itself into its own file and load it in a
browser, it comes up correctly as an apostrophe)

So I'm guessing there still is some encoding I have to de-set in either
apache or resin.

Thanks for your help-

Malcom, thanks for your detailed explanation.  I will experiment with the
settings as well to see if it solves the apache/resin page problem

Ben