[RH List] RE: Separate shell and www servers...

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Tue Aug 17 19:27:56 UTC 2004

> >How many users are we talking?
> >
> >If you favor security over timeliness, you may want to set
> something up with
> >rsync where your www server can rsync to your sh server but not the other
> >way around.  Have it run out of cron every minute or so on the
> www server.
> >For example, on shell server let's say the webdir is in
> >/home/username/webdir and on your webserver it translates to
> >/home/www/username
> >
> >rsync shellserver:/home/username/webdir/ /home/www/username
> >

>     Couple of hundred users, with a couple of several hundred sites
> (several sites per user.)  I need it to be live in that when a user
> makes a change, it gets reflected right away, so the rsync idea wouldn't
> work - even running it every minute because the amount of data that it
> will be transferring back and forth.  I have users that do massive
> changes to their site, and that would take more than a minute to
> transfer back and forth.  That's why I thought of using an active NFS
> mount.  I'm just not sure how to implement it.

Right.. that's what I was thinking as well.  Well, if you want them on
separate servers more because of a resource issue than any other issue (like
security) then why don't you set it up similar to what you did with mail and
use links?

That way you don't need to mess with a large number of mount points

mount wwwserver:/home/www /home/www  (akin to mount mailserver:/var/mail
/var/mail)

ln -s /home/username/www /home/www/username

something like that?

And make sure your permissions on /home/www/username are similar to
permissions with /var/mail (probably user owned, group owned by UID that
runs your webserver, and probably use the SGID bit on all directories in
/home/www as well )