set up account/group with limited access

Alex Dyas alex.dyas at psineteurope.com
Tue Aug 24 07:25:12 UTC 2004

Bruce,

A very simple example of such a thing would be the following script:

--
#!/bin/sh
echo "Press return to exit the session"

Save this script as something like "/bin/restrictedlogin.sh".  Make sure it is
executable by everyone, eg

# chmod 755 /bin/restrictedlogin.sh

Then make this script the login shell of the user in question, for example:

# chsh testuser
Changing shell for testuser.
New shell [/usr/bin/ksh]: /bin/restrictedlogin.sh
Shell changed.

If all goes to plan, logging in with this testuser will now result in the script
  running, but no interactive shell.

You may want to read up a little on shell scripting to make it more
interesting/robust.

Hope this helps.

Alex..

-= Alex Dyas, DC Ops, PSINet Europe, Geneva, +41 22 783 6208 =-