Switching SMTP "on"

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Aug 24 14:16:45 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 12:32, kenwardc wrote:
> Hi Reuben
>
> I thought I knew why you did that but one can never be sure! ;) Thanks
> for the info. I have tried it out on the postfix server so far and
> have got nowhere. The server is still not accepting on 25. I have
> created a special rule for the firewall from my address so that I can
> log each of my attempts and I see the firewall allows the access to
> the server immediately with no problem, so the issue is still
> somewhere at the server end.
>
> See my previous message to this list re the postfix server?
ah, postfix...
the instructions your were pointed at were for sendmail.
the change for postfix is in the /etc/postfix/main.cf file
just find the inet_interfaces line and alter it to read
inet_interfaces = all
and restart postfix.
be aware that postfix REQUIRES an entry in /etc/postfix/aliases aliasing root
to a mortal user. It will be currently set to the dummy user 'postfix'
you'll  need to change this, and then run
postalias /etc/postfix/aliases

<silly basic question>
postfix is running, correct?
you _did_ activate it using either redhat-switch-mail or
the /usr/sbin/alternatives command?
</silly basic question>

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX