NIS User account? or crypt issue?

Dege, Robert C. robert.dege at ngc.com
Tue Aug 24 14:57:45 UTC 2004

I have made some progress on my problem, however I don't feel any closer to a solution than before!
I have been able to eliminate NIS as a possible problem.  This seems to be more of a authentication issue with login itself.  Here's what I did:

*) first, I took the NIS entry (ypmatch user passwd) && placed it into /etc/passwd.
*) shut off NIS.  finger the username to verify that the local passwd entry is valid.
*) I tried to login but was still getting password failures.

*) I then ran a crypt perl script & changed the encrypted passwd (passwd is timecard)
*) I tried to login & was successful!  I could login.

*) I ran the crypt perl script again & changed the encrypted passwd (passwd is motivation)
*) I tried to login & failed with a password incorrect again.

# ./crypt.pl timecard
qiI5rFufWzRBQ

# ./crypt.pl motivation
ddo7t1js5n.pE