NIS User account? or crypt issue?

James Harrison jamesaharrisonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:29:06 UTC 2004

A wild guess....

Im pushing the boat out a bit here, so dont flame me....

Is the nis master a redhat system?

Ive seen a problem where the nis master is Solaris and when the password is
changed on the Redhat system (workstation) the password is screwed up. Maybe
its got something to do with MD5 (on the redhat system) vs a passwd encrypted
password on the Solaris system.

A passwd password is 8 characters long and an MD5 password is longer.

Change the password on the nis master or slave.

James