how to use sendmail as a client

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Wed Aug 25 16:21:50 UTC 2004

If you want this to be automated in someway, you will have to run it as a
daemon so there is something listening to send mail.  Is your question how
to set up sendmail as a daemon ONLY to send reports?  Or is your question
how do you send the reports without running a daemon?

I put something like this in some of my scripts

cat report.txt | /usr/lib/sendmail -f fromaddress at domain.com -v
toaddress at domain.com

For easier reading, include a Subject and To header as the first two lines
of report.txt... e.g.:

# cat report.txt
Subject: subject line
To: toaddress at domain.com

Startreport
blah blha
yaddayadda
endreport
#

Is that what you're looking for?  You will still need a working sendmail.cf
file even though you are not running it as a daemon.

Ben Yau

310.235.2500 x232
Card Commerce International, Inc.
http://www.cardcommerce.com