Print server problems on Enterprise 3

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Tue Aug 31 23:29:21 UTC 2004

Greetings fellow RH veterans:

	I have one client with a problem I haven't encountered anywhere else
on Red Hat.  They have Enterprise 3.0 ES running at their main location with
ssh sessions running our accounting package.  At a remote site we have
another LAN that's using a VPN tunnel between sites to give them access.  At
that remote site, I have an HP Laser connected via a D-link print server.
The printer is configured in CUPS as an LPD printer and works fine for the
most part.

	Every so often, a print job gets "stuck" where it prints, but the
job remains in the queue and prints again (and again and again).  The users
finally have to turn the printer off before it goes through a ream of paper.
If we reset the print server and printer, and clean out the print queue, all
returns to normal for a day or two.

	I've watched this with lpstat to know that it's not some abnormal
job.  It just doesn't get deleted in the queue, as if the hardware was
telling CUPS to re-submit the job instead of deleting it.  I've used a
different brand of print server but with no difference.  Also, the
connection between the print server and printer is USB, but that shouldn't
matter to CUPS.  It only sees the device as a host name and printer.

	Anyone else have similar experiences?  I'm positive that there isn't
any PCL code for multiple copies in the print job itself.

Mike Scully