Largefile support

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Dec 2 02:00:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 01:21:30PM -0600, Steve Phillips wrote:

> We have just migrated a system from a debian 3.0-stable box to RedHat ES
> 3.0, the migration went smoothly except that the application we were
> running under debian now appears to have a filesize limitation on the log
> files.
>
> As soon as the logfile reaches 2gig in size the daemon crashes.
>
> Filesytem type is ext3

> we are using the same source tree in both instances which tends to point
> toward something in the OS itself ? (mount options ?)

To prove to yourself that your filesystem supports files larger than 2G,
do the following:

# cd <directory where you have problems>
# dd if=/dev/zero of=foo.bar bs=1000K count=3000
# ls -lh foo.bar

Now that you've seen that your log file could be larger than 2GB with
a well-written application, it's time to have another look at the
application itself and see why it's breaking.

> On the debian system the same application ran quite happily with logfiles
> >2G

That's interesting...  perhaps the application libraries are
different?  Dunno, I'm not a programmer and have never run debian before
either.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA