Openldap, change passwd failed

Prashant Kulkarni prk at bandra.cmc.net.in
Fri Dec 3 06:26:07 UTC 2004

Thnx Ryan its working

Prashant.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Ryan Golhar
Sent: Wednesday, 01 December, 2004 19:25
To: 'General Red Hat Linux discussion list'
Subject: RE: Openldap, change passwd failed

Is this happening on the LDAP server or a LDAP client?  The insufficient
access sounds like a LDAP configuration problem to me.  Make sure users
are allowed to change their passwords.  This can be set in your
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf file.  Here's what I have:

access to dn=".*,ou=People,o=v12,o=UMDNJ,c=US"
                attr=userPassword
        by self write
        by dn="uid=root,ou=People,o=v12,o=UMDNJ,c=US" write
        by * auth

This allows root to change everyones password, and allows everyone to
change their own password.  Make sure to change your dn.

Ryan